This strawberry and elderflower jam recipe will be a staple in your larder. This ruby-red jam is delicious spread on toast or on top of your porridge in the morning.
It is this time of year on our dog walks that we pass the numerous elderflower bushes along the edge of the forest. It was the aroma of blooming elderflowers and the fresh crop of strawberries picked in the morning from the garden that inspired this jam.
I also like to use it as a filling for sponge cakes or like in these strawberry Linzer biscuits.
- Ease: Easy.
- Diets: Dairy free, egg free, gluten free, nut free and vegan.
- Great for: Spreading on toast or scones, filling sponges or biscuits.
- Taste: Fresh taste of early summer and a light elderflower taste.
- Texture: Sticky jam.
WHAT LARDER INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
For this jam recipe all you need are these 4 ingredients:
- Sugar (vegan)
- Vanilla extract, sugar or paste
Digital cooking scale
Serving: one tablespoon of jam
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data.
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy.
I encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
STORAGE AND FREEZING OPTIONS
This jam will keep well for many months once sterilised in the jars.
Freezing: Not advised
© THE GOURMET LARDER. All images and content are copyright protected.
Please read my FAQ’s, if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
READY TO MAKE YOUR STRAWBERRY AND ELDERFLOWER JAM ?
Strawberry & Elderflower Jam
- 2.5 kg fresh strawberries
- 1 kg caster or granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp of vanilla paste
- 20 heads elderflower
- Strawberries: Wash and cut the strawberries in half into a large saucepan.
- Using your hand or a potato masher, squish and crush them so they release their juices.
- Mix in the sugar and the vanilla.
- Elderflowers: Check that the elderflowers are completely free from any small bugs and place them into a cheese cloth, tie a string around it to create a small parcel and place it in the strawberry mix.If you don't have a cheese cloth then you can add them directly to the strawberry mix ensuring they are pressed down under the liquid.
- Cover the pan and place in the fridge overnight to allow time for the elderflower to flavour the strawberries.
- Day 2: Remove the pan from the fridge and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil for 5 minutes.
- Now remove the elderflowers from the pan and continue to boil, stirring often.
- Jar preparation: Wash thoroughly enough jars for 1.8-2 kg (3.3-4.4 lbs) of jam.I personally like to place my jars in the oven at 130°C fan / 265F / Gas 1/2 for 30 minutes to sterilise them. If you prefer to use a different method please do. The important thing is to put the delicious jam into sterilised jars.
- Testing jam: If you have a thermometer, check after 45-60 minutes to see if the mixture has reached 105°C / 220°F. Retest every 10-15 minutes.If you don't have a thermometer you can place 3 small plates in the freezer to check the consistency. After 45-60 minutes take a teaspoon of the boiling jam and place it on one of the cold plates, place it back in the freezer for a minute. Then remove and push your finger through the jam, if the jam leaves a trail then it is ready. Otherwise retest every 10-15 minutes until your finger creates a trail through the jam.
- Jar filling: Transfer the strawberry jam into the hot sterile jars, leaving 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) of space at the top, and seal with a lid.Turn the jars upside down and leave for an extra 5 minutes once you have finished packing and sealing all of them.
- Full sterilisation: To ensure the jars are fully sterile, I place an open towel or blanket into a container, which I then place all the jars (right way up) into. Tuck the towel over and around the jars and leave until the jars have cooled completely.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT FOR YOU!
I love to hear your feedback, please leave your thoughts and a rating using the comments section below!