These strawberry shortcake bars are light and refreshing, deliciously buttery, chewy, crisp and filled with fresh juicy strawberries, making them perfect for summer.
They are also incredibly easy to make, with only a few simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your kitchen.
For an alternative in the winter try making this bar recipe with any type of jam (strawberry, raspberry, peach, blackberry, apricot or plum).
WHAT LARDER INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
For this strawberry shortcake bar recipe all you need are these 11 ingredients:
- Plain or all-purpose flour (BL55)
- Caster or granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Vanilla extract, sugar or paste
- Sea salt
- Unsalted butter
- Ground almonds
- Fresh strawberries
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
WHAT VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS CAN I MAKE?
This recipe can be made with any other type of fruit: peaches, raspberries, blackberries, apricots or plums to name a few.
What combination would you choose for your shortcake bar recipe?
Let me know in the comments!
- Baking pan or tin 20×20 cm (8×8 inch)
- Mixing bowls
- Electric hand mixer
Serving: one strawberry shortcake bar
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data.
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy.
I encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
STORAGE AND FREEZING OPTIONS
These strawberry shortcake bars will stay fresh for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Freezer: They also freeze well for up to 2 months. To defrost simply leave on the kitchen worktop for half an hour. Serve at room temperature.
© THE GOURMET LARDER. All images and content are copyright protected.
Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
READY TO MAKE YOUR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BARS ?
Strawberry shortcake bar
- 300 g plain or all-purpose flour (BL55)
- 50 g caster or granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, sugar or 1/4 tsp of vanilla paste
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 150 g butter (cold)
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 3 medium egg whites
- 100 g caster or granulated white sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 400 g fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp cornflour (US -cornstarch)
- 2 tbsp icing or powdered sugar
- Line a 20×20 cm (8×8 in) baking dish or tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Dough: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and salt.
- Add the butter and rub it in using your fingertips or a pastry cutter to form a crumbly dough.
- Add the 3 egg yolks and gently mix until a dough forms. Try not to overwork the dough or it will become chewy.
- Cut off one-third, flatten it down to 2 cm (1.5 in) thick, wrap it in cling film and place it in the freezer.
- Take the remaining two-thirds of the dough and press it down into the prepared baking dish or tin.
- Filling: In a medium bowl whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until very stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time. Whisk well between each addition until all the sugar has been added and you have a very stiff and glossy meringue mix.
- Add the ground almonds to the meringue, ensuring they are incorporated and then spread evenly over the top of the dough in the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan / 375°F / Gas 5.
- Strawberries: Clean the strawberries and cut them in half. In a medium bowl add the cornflour to the strawberries, ensuring there are no lumps of cornflour left.
- Evenly distribute the strawberries over the almond meringue filling in the tin.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and coarsely grate the dough over the top of the strawberries.
- Baking: Place the tin in the middle of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until lightly golden on top. Remove and let cool.
- Cutting: Make sure to let the bars cool completely before cutting into 12 pieces and dust with icing sugar.(If you slice them while they are still warm, they won’t hold their shape.)
- As if these bars could get any more delicious, try topping them with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
IF YOU LIKE THIS STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE BARS RECIPE YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Please let me know how it turned out for you!
I love to hear your feedback and I am always looking to improve the Gourmet Larder blog, please leave your thoughts and a rating using the comments section below!