This sour cherry chocolate cake is just the best combination of a moist, fine crumb sponge, with dark chocolate chunks and tart sour cherries and it’s easy to make.
WHAT LARDER INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
For this recipe all you need are these 10 ingredients:
- Sour cherries
- Light brown or demerara sugar
- Ground almonds
- Vanilla extract, sugar or paste
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Dark or milk chocolate
WHAT VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS CAN I MAKE?
Fruit: Instead of sour cherries try other fruits. Raspberries, strawberries, apples or pears make great alternatives.
- Mixing bowls
- Digital scale
- Electric hand mixer
- Measuring jug
- Springform baking pan or ring 20 cm / 8 inch
Serving: one cake slice.
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data.
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy.
I encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
STORAGE AND FREEZING OPTIONS
This easy cake keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: Stored in an airtight container suitable for freezing or cling wrap this cake will keep for up to 2-3 months.
© THE GOURMET LARDER. All images and content are copyright protected.
Please follow my Sharing Policy if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
READY TO MAKE YOUR SOUR CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE ?
Sour Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 300 g sour cherries (200 g pitted )
- 80 g butter (melted, plus more for greasing)
- 170 g soft brown sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, sugar or 1/2 tsp of vanilla paste
- 100 g plain or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 50 g milk or dark chocolate
- Sour cherries: Weigh the sour cherries and mix in 50 g of the brown sugar. Set aside.
- Grease or line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Cake mix: In a large bowl, beat the butter and the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the ground almonds and vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Now add the baking powder, salt and flour. Mix until combined.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and add to the batter along with half of the sour cherries. Gently stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Spread the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the surface even.
- Scatter over the remaining sour cherries.
- Baking: Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, remove from the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
IF YOU LIKED THIS SOUR CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Please let me know how it turned out for you!
I love to hear your feedback and I am always looking to improve the Gourmet Larder blog, please leave your thoughts and a rating using the comments section below!