This sour cherry chocolate cake is just the best combination of a moist, fine crumb sponge, with dark chocolate chunks and tart sour cherries and it’s easy to make.
WHAT LARDER INGREDIENTS WILL I NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
For this recipe all you need are these ingredients:
- Sour cherries
- Light brown or demerara sugar
- Ground almonds
- Vanilla extract, sugar or paste
- Plain flour
- Baking powder
- Dark or milk chocolate
I highly recommend adding a good pinch of salt to your cakes. It would seem counter productive, but it’s not. Salt, helps balance out the sweetness and richness. It also elevates the other ingredients, bring out the best characteristics of any recipe. In a seemingly absurd or contradictory way, salt intensifies the mouth’s ability to taste sweetness. It is the sodium that sends signals to move glucose into the sweet taste receptor cells in our tongue, triggering the cells to register sweetness. The result is that salt not only alerts our ‘salt sensitivity’, but also our ‘sweet sensitive’ taste buds.
WHAT VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS CAN I MAKE?
Fruit: Instead of sour cherries try other fruits. Raspberries, strawberries, apples or pears make great alternatives.
When it comes to baking, I highly recommend using metric measurements and a digital scale, rather than cup measurements. You will find it much easier, less messy and you will get far better, consistent results weighing your ingredients. 🙂
Serving: one cake slice.
Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on factors such as precision of measurements, brands, ingredient freshness, or the source of nutrition data.
I strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but make no warranties regarding its accuracy.
I encourage you to make your own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
STORAGE AND FREEZING OPTIONS
This easy cake keeps well for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: Stored in an airtight container suitable for freezing or cling wrap this cake will keep for up to 2-3 months.
© THE GOURMET LARDER. All images and content are copyright protected.
Please read my FAQ’s, if you would like to use or share any part of this post.
READY TO MAKE YOUR SOUR CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE ?
Sour Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 300 g sour cherries (200 g pitted )
- 80 g butter (melted, plus more for greasing)
- 170 g soft brown sugar
- 100 g ground almonds
- 2 medium/US large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp of vanilla paste
- 100 g plain or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 50 g milk or dark chocolate
- Sour cherries: Weigh the sour cherries and mix in 50 g of the brown sugar. Set aside.
- Grease or line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas 6.
- Cake mix: In a large bowl, beat the butter and the remaining sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Mix in the ground almonds and vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Now add the baking powder, salt and flour. Mix until combined.
- Chop the chocolate into small chunks and add to the batter along with half of the sour cherries. Gently stir until they are evenly distributed.
- Spread the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the surface even.
- Scatter over the remaining sour cherries.
- Baking: Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, remove from the tin and dust with icing sugar to serve.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNED OUT FOR YOU!
I love to hear your feedback, please leave your thoughts and a rating using the comments section below!